I try to keep my reviews short and sweet never leaving spoilers.

You can follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads. The links are below.

Friday 21 October 2016

Author interview - Lisa Suzanne



While you’ve all been getting to know Lisa’s books, I’ve been getting to know her a little better.

For the full interview see -

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? 
I taught high school English for fourteen years, but last year was my last year. I’m now a full time author and stay at home mom to my sweet nine month old. I teach writing classes at a community college part-time. I’ve published ten romance novels since May 2013, and I have another one that’s almost done!

What do you do when you are not writing?
Cuddling the baby, taking walks with the hubby, and watching sitcoms.

Was English your favourite subject at school? (I sucked at it lol)
Yes! English was always my favorite, which is why I ultimately decided to teach it.

What did you want be when you were growing up?
I always wanted to be a teacher. Writing was always my “hobby” until that fateful day when my husband told me about a little thing called “self-publishing.”

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I’ve been writing at least since I was in high school, so probably twenty or more years. I never really feel like my books are “finished” – I always feel like I have more story to write, but officially my first one was done sometime around April 2013.

Where do you get your ideas?
Anywhere and everywhere. Friends, situations, etc. A lot of times just a line from a song will inspire an entire book.

Do you work with an outline, or just write?
I used to just write, but lately I’ve been outlining. So both!

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
I admire lots of authors. I think when EL James published Fifty Shades of Grey, she opened a lot of doors for people like me who had always written romance in secret.

Name 5 favourite authors.
EL James
M. Pierce
Emily Giffin
SC Stephens
Tara Sivec


What's your favourite all time book and why?
I don’t know if I can pick just one! I have so many favorites! The first that comes to mind is Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. I love that she put a twist on cheating – not just a romantic relationship, but cheating on a friend, too, and the reader is rooting for the cheaters. That’s a tough book to write.

Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
I was always so shy to share my writing with others. Overcoming that was my biggest challenge.

Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
I have a series written that is four books and over 300,000 words, but it needs editing and reworking. I love it so much that I’m afraid to put it out into the world, so I haven’t.

Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
I’m currently writing a romantic comedy. I haven’t said much about it yet, but I’m getting close to the finish line and I love it!

Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
Mostly imagination, although I think I find a bit of myself and those I love (or don’t love…) in different characters at times. :)

How do you come up with a title?
Titles are my nemesis! I have the hardest time coming up with titles, and usually I throw out a blurb to my reader group and ask for suggestions until something sticks!

Do you write using pen and paper or laptop?
A laptop, although early on I used to write on yellow legal pads. I still have a draft of my first book (How He Really Feels) handwritten!

When writing do you need silence or background noise?
Usually I listen to music, but some scenes call for silence!

Do you have a special place or time where you like to write?
When the baby is napping and whenever I can fit it in.

Will you have a new book coming out soon?
Yes! My romantic comedy is coming soon, but I have to finish writing it first!

Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?
Characters… I LOVE Jesse Drake from Separation Anxiety. I want to write more of him. I also love a couple of the characters from Not Just Another Romance Novel. One in particular needs a story of his own, and I started writing one but got sidetracked with another project. I also love the characters in Vintage. I’d love to write more of them. As for a theme, I loved writing the cheating part of Conflicted. I want to write more cheating books. It’s a sore subject for a lot of people, but it’s a lot of fun to write!

Which book of your would you like to be made into a film and why? Which actor/actress would you choose?
All of them! LOL! I actually have Pinterest boards for each of my books, and some of them have actors and actresses who I think fit the descriptions. And Nick Bateman can obviously play any of my leading men.  

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
It’s always hard to hear criticism, but if it’s helping me grow as an author, I’ll gladly take it. I think the toughest was probably the first time I got a one-star review, but now that I’ve been doing this a while, I know that not every book is for every person… and that’s okay. That’s how it should be. It’s the bashing kind of reviews that are hurtful, not the one-stars.

What has been the best compliment?
Someone told me she was getting a tattoo of words that I wrote from one of my books.

Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
Write every day. Even if it’s crap, get in the habit of writing every single day. There’s always an excuse, but if it’s your passion, you will find the time. If you hate what you’re writing, that’s okay. That’s what editing is for.

Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read my books. We’re all so busy in this rushed world, and it means so much that you spent time with characters I created. XOXO

Tell us a big dark secret?
Haha – I don’t have any!

Was your worst or best sexual experience?
LOL

Ebook or paperback?
Signed paperbacks! I read on Kindle, though.

Have you ever gone out in public with your shirt on backwards, or your slippers on, and when realizing it, just said screw it?
No, but if I did, I wouldn’t worry too much about it!

Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?
I don’t make it fully, but I neaten the sheets and pull up the comforter. So yes, I kind of make it.

Be honest, how often do you wash your hair?
Every single day. And I dry it and style it, too.

Have you ever gone out wearing no underwear?
Probably

Do you get road rage?
A little, but only if someone is being an idiot. I’m generally a pretty calm and laid back person.

What pisses you off the most about other drivers?
When they turn in front of me and then go below the speed limit.

Do you go out of your way to kill bugs?
I don’t touch bugs. Killing them is my husband’s department.

Are there any that make you screech and hide?
Scorpions. I found one in the bathtub once and my husband was out of town. I was lowering the baby into the tub when I spotted it. I freaked out.

Light or dark chocolate?
Milk chocolate. With peanut butter.

Tea or coffee?
Coffee all day every day

The light side or dark side?
The light side

Dogs or cats?
Dogs! I had a yellow lab for 13 years and I miss her every day!

What's your favourite colour?
Orange




No comments:

Post a Comment